Presenter: Dr Elisabeth Philipps PhD BSc(Hons) BSc Nut. Med.
Join clinical neuroscientist Dr Elisabeth Philipps on Tuesday 21st June 2022 for a CPD accredited webinar on:
The impact of stroke is devastating. It is the fourth single leading cause of death in the UK (38,000 deaths per year; that’s a life lost every 17 minutes), and a leading cause of disability (two thirds of stroke survivors leave hospital with a disability), associated with a broader range of disabilities than any other condition. With 100,000 strokes per year in the UK, someone experiencing this devastating health event once every 5 minutes.
A stroke occurs when blood supply to part of the brain is cut off with 2 main types:
- Ischaemic strokes are caused by a blockage (usually a blood clot) cutting off the blood supply to the brain. About 85% of strokes are ischaemic.
- Haemorrhagic strokes are caused by a blood vessel bursting in the brain.
Whilst prevention by keeping your brain and cardiovascular system healthy is optimal, acute stroke treatment and then longer-term rehabilitation is also key to regaining function and health after a stroke. As age is a factor in increasing stroke risk factors, brain and cardiovascular health is key.
Join Dr Elisabeth Philipps as she provides the latest information on prevention strategies, acute actions to take when someone is suffering a stroke (as provided by the NHS), as well as longer term rehabilitation for those who have experienced brain damage using a current functional medicine approach. Specifically, Elisabeth will discuss:
- Underlying causes of stroke as a way to understand a cohesive integrated health prevention / rehabilitation programme
- Links between diet, lifestyle, cardiovascular and brain health leading to strokes and transient ischaemic attacks (TIAs)
- Link of blood sugar, type 2 diabetes, and brain vascular health
Approaches to managing stroke and brain health rehabilitation through diet, supplementary nutrients, and integrative medicine approaches
Included in the price:
Full PDF slide deck
£10 voucher to use with Nutrigold (live attendees only)
CPD Applied for:
British Association for Applied Nutrition (BANT)
Naturopathic Nutrition Association (NNA)
Association of Naturopathic Practitioners (ANP)