Presenter: Dr Elisabeth Philipps PhD BSc(Hons) BSc Nut. Med.
Date: Tuesday September 17th 2024
Time: 12.00 – 1.30pm
There are hundreds of food supplement brands selling thousands of products in stores and online every day in the UK. So if you decide you need some extra B vitamins to boost your energy, a top up in vitamin D this winter, or a combination of different vitamins, minerals and nutrients to help your health where do you turn?
Join Dr Elisabeth Philipps for this fascinating webinar giving you the low down on how to choose the best quality and bioactive food supplements for your health needs.
In this session, we will cover:
- What’s in your supplement? How to identify products that are “organic” and work with your body, and what hidden “nasties” to avoid, such as artificial fillers and preservatives.
- Understanding nutrient absorption (bioavailability): it’s not just a case of taking a food supplement and hoping it works – food supplements are far more than a placebo! We will explore which are the high absorption forms of different nutrients to look out for and how different food supplement formulations (e.g. tablet versus capsules) impact absorption.
- Lifestyle factors that impact food supplement efficacy: we will delve into dietary and lifestyle factors that can reduce and even prevent nutrient absorption in both food and from food supplements, as well as comparing and contrasting different food supplement preparations and routes of administration such as sublingual (under the tongue) supplements versus products absorbed via the digestive tract.
- When to take your supplement? We’ll look at whether taking food supplements with or away from a meal really makes a difference.
- Personalised solutions: there’s no “one size fits all” supplement programme so we will discuss the considerations for foundational food supplement programmes and the evolution of a food supplement programme based on individual requirements.
We hope you can join us for this “Getting the Best from your Food Supplements” webinar. There’s plenty of time to ask your food supplement questions and you’ll leave this session with a wealth of new-found knowledge to boost your supplement regime and save you money – remember, the most expensive food supplement you’ve ever taken is the one that didn’t work!